February 8, 2010

TASTES: Aged Goatmilk Cheddar

By Erica and Kara


Background: This week, we returned to the Dane County Farmer's Market. Now that it's moved to the senior center, we weren't sure if we'd see any familiar faces but to our surprise and delight, Felix himself was manning the Capri Cheesery table. If you remember, dear reader, our first tasting was one of Felix's cheeses. We won't go over the details of Capri here, so click on the above link if you want to know more about Felix and his goats.

The Taste: The cheese is white and crumbly, hard to cut neatly. Sitting on the plate, it smells deliciously, quintessentially, cheesey. At first the goaty pungency overwhelms the tang we expect from a cheddar, but by the end of the bite its sour zing asserts itself. It's a strong flavor, mouth-filling and smooth. Whenever we think of cheddar, we think of Cracker Barrel. Capri's version of aged cheddar is C.B. to the power of ten, in both strength and complexity. In short: delish.

3 comments:

  1. It makes me uncomfortable that you are using Cracker Barrel as a reference point. You had me till then... now I just don't know what to think. I'm going to have to cancel my class to get over this.
    -Saaaaarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait I have more comments.
    1) You totally won me back with the Amish goats
    2)The dryness may be related to the season and moisture levels in your environment and not the cheese.
    3)Erica, you gesture like a mad woman. Martha should study you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Cracker Barrel was an important part of my childhood, OKAY?

    2) Now I am going to be self-conscious about my gesturing. Bah.

    ReplyDelete