January 24, 2010

TASTES: Port-Salut (A Cautionary Tale)

By Erica

In addition to the cheese that Kara and I eat every week (Note: her return to America will also mark a return to the blog's regular schedule), I buy an average of two cheeses a weeks for myself. As a rule, one of them is a melting cheese, such as Cheddar or Monterey Jack, and one is something new; my morning routine often includes an open-faced grilled cheese sandwich, and my afternoon routine often includes cheese and crackers. I am also lactose intolerant, but that's a story for another time. THIS entry is about the new cheese that I bought recently: Port-Salut.


Background:
Port-Salut is a cow's milk cheese from Brittany, France. It is very soft, has an bright orange rind and was the first French cheese to be made from pasteurized milk. Created by Trappist Monks in the 1800s, the head of the abbey gave the rights of the cheese to a distributor in 1873. Although Port-Salut is still handmade, today the cheese is mainly mass produced. The wedge I bought, for example, was made by Fromageries Bel, France's third largest cheese producer.



The Taste:
I did not like this cheese. Although it is known for its mildness, it was a bit too mild for me. The slightly tangy (and short lived) aftertaste was plastic. Its creamy texture seemed artificial, reminding me of Laughing Cow (and I hate Laughing cow.) This, perhaps, is not surprising since Fromageries Bel is the maker of Laughing Cow. I feel like I've been duped (N.B. I did my research post-purchase, post-taste, post haste). Is this what a real Port-Salut tastes like? I doubt it.

Lesson:
Look at the fine print on a cheese's label. If it says "Fromageries Bel," do not buy. Boycott!

No comments:

Post a Comment